Starting on Monday 4th October, Britain’s national workplace regulator for health and safety, the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) kickstarted a month long initiative focusing on inspections at construction sites of varying shapes and sizes across Great Britain to ensure workers are protected against dangerous dust inhalation.
This ranges from large scale commercial new builds to smaller projects such as domestic refurbishments that will be visited to check that all the necessary measures are in place to show that the health worker’s lungs are not in danger from dust exposure.
Proposed plans to open up a new arts centre in Wakefield were put on pause recently after a high quantity of asbestos was discovered in the building that was to be used for the centre.
Wakefield council were looking to open the new venue in what was a BHS store in the town that closed down in 2016, their desire is to convert the former shop into a centre that will house a museum, library, gallery as well as a café. This follows complaints from residents that the building is now......
It has been confirmed that the BBC is facing another lawsuit from an asbestos related death, earlier in the summer it was reported that the widow of a member of the BBC Symphony Orchestra was taking action against the corporation due to the death of her husband (read our blog on this story here) and now the widow of a set builder who worked for the BBC from 1965 until 1988 is looking to follow suit.
Valerie Evans, whose husband worked on creating the sets for BBC dramas such......
As we pass the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attack, a new report from the Fire Department of New York World Trade Center Health Program has highlighted the health effects that the firefighters who appeared on the scene following the tragedy are now facing.
It is estimated that approximately 410,000 first responders were at the site of the attack in the following days and weeks inhaling toxic materials as they assisted in saving lives. Nearly 3,000 people died on what many termed ‘America’s Darkest Day’ but in the succeeding 20 years a......
Campaigners in Wales are engaged in a fight to remove asbestos containing waste from a beach in Carmarthenshire.
These calls have come after the council confirmed that their own tests had found that the substance found on the east beach at Burry Port contained what they described as “low risk” asbestos which according to Philip Hughes, executive board member for public protection at Carmarthenshire council they believe “Is of low risk to the public we are taking all necessary steps as a precaution including the safe removal of any visible material.......
An Enfield resident has been left frustrated with the town council after they failed to clean up the asbestos problem in her children’s bedrooms.
Marsha Francis, an NHS worker living in Edmonton has said how she was left ‘fed up’ with the repeated delays in the asbestos removal which she believed should have been dealt with as a priority due to the dangerous nature of the material. Ms Francis told how the problem was first found after she had a contractor out fixing what was thought to be a leak in......
In what has been a developing story throughout the last two years, there has been a new push against Johnson & Johnson and its talc-based powder products that have been alleged to contain asbestos materials by a mix of plaintiff attorneys and congressional leaders.
At the end of July, at the U.S District court in Delaware, group of attorneys filed a restraining order which they hope to put a stop to the J&J group’s plan to off load these liabilities from talc-related products onto a new subsidiary group who would then......
The widow of a former member of the BBC symphony orchestra is suing the broadcaster after her husband died from mesothelioma, which was caused by playing a studio that was riddled with asbestos.
Christopher Larkin was a horn player with the orchestra for 36 years and the group both rehearsed and performed in the infamous Maida Vale studios in London which unbeknownst to Mr Larkin was covered in the deadly substance leading to his death aged 73.
On 8th April of this year, the day Mr Larkin died, the BBC took responsibility......
Nearly two years after they were formed, the Australian National Dust Disease Taskforce has published their report which sets out their recommendations to tackling dust exposure in the country.
We covered the lead up to the publication of this report in a recent blog which you can read here.
The final report, released in July, outlines the taskforce’s seven recommendations that they believe are integral to combating exposure to this potentially deadly substance, these recommendations were:
- To strengthen the health and safety measures in all workplaces which can ensure that all workers will......
Across East Sussex they are facing an asbestos fly tipping problem, where the deadly material has been found being dumped on country lanes. In June alone it had been found discarded in multiple areas in the region and the council for Wealden released images that showed piles of potentially dangerous asbestos insulation board (AIB) as well as rubbish bags left in woodland by the side of the road. A spokesman for the council said, “Someone is endangering their own health and that of others.”
Over to Penkridge, Staffordshire where two local......