Here’s a roundup of December’s talking points from the world of Asbestos.
Bradford Hotel Face Asbestos Removal Fine
A hotel in Bradford’s city centre faced a fine earlier this month due to what were described as ‘unacceptable delays’ in the removal of asbestos on the site.
In November of 2017 there was asbestos found in many different areas of the Midland Hotel in Bradford, these areas were used by the hotel’s staff but were not open to guests such as a corridor in the basement and a lift shaft. However the court was......
Here’s a roundup of November’s talking points from the world of Asbestos that we haven’t already covered on the blog.
Asbestos Prosecution Following Gas Explosion in Chippenham
During November, a case was brought to Salisbury Magistrates Court in regard to a gas explosion in a flat in Chippenham during October of 2017 after construction work had taken place as part of flat developments.
After the explosion, the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) began an investigation the results of which found that the company contracted to advise and manage these developments, Prestige EA Ltd......
A brand-new research centre, the Mesothelioma UK Research Centre - Sheffield (MURC-S) has opened up at the University of Sheffield this week. This centre will focus on research into finding the best possible ways to prevent and treat the disease of mesothelioma that is caused by exposure to asbestos. Their eventual aim as explained by the centre’s co-director, Prof Angela Mary Tod is to possibly find a cure to the terminal illness.
Ms Tod also from the University of Sheffield Health Sciences School explained the devastating impact of the deadly disease......
A joint statement by asbestos professionals, alongside certain UK trade bodies, implored all of those who have are responsible for locations and materials to continue keeping track and managing the asbestos in these sites and materials as the country goes through a second lockdown..
The release of this statement coincides with the continuing confusion surrounding which activities relating to the control and maintenance of asbestos are allowed during lockdown conditions. The confusion extends to duty-holders and the understanding of their legal duties named under the Control of Asbestos Regulations (CAR) 2012 which remain......
Here’s a roundup of October’s big talking points from the world of Asbestos that we haven’t already covered on the blog.
Retired Sound Engineer to Sue ITV for Asbestos Exposure
John Sanders, an 81-year-old former sound engineer is suing media giant ITV over his claims that he contracted mesothelioma after his work on the creation of their former South Bank base, The London Studios for ITV predecessor London Weekend Television.
Mr Sanders legal representation Simon Kilvington QC explained to the high court how his client worked on the London Studios creation when it......
As has been the case for the last four year, The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is continuing to send out inspectors to assess dust inhalation standards on building sites. In addition, inspectors will now be checking that all firms are being compliant with the necessary COVID-19 rules.
These unannounced inspections are typically to ensure that all businesses are prioritising the health of their staff by putting measures in place that protect them and most importantly their lungs from encountering asbestos, silica and wood dust. According to the HSE, approximately 100......
After nearly a year since it was announced that the town of Asbestos in Quebec, Canada would be renamed the residents have voted for the new name of Val-des-Sources by a large majority it was revealed on Monday.
As we have been detailing throughout the year in our blogs, the town decided it needed an image change after they believed the image that was given to potential investors through the town being called after the toxic material, which came from the formerly operating asbestos mine which closed operations in 2011, was......
Here’s a roundup of September’s big talking points from the world of Asbestos that we haven’t already covered on the blog.
Derby Man Dies Due to Asbestos Poisoning
At the start of this month Barry Richards, an 83-year-old former city council worker died from mesothelioma. An inquest into Mr Richard’s death heard that the Derby resident most likely contracted an asbestos related disease in his 20s and 30s when he worked on repairing and maintaining houses that were built using asbestos.
Another place of work where he may have been exposed was Southgate......
There are certain professions that have a higher risk of contracting mesothelioma or other asbestos related diseases through exposure at the workplace, one of these such professions in America is being a welder. The primary focus of a job like this is joining two metal parts this aspect requires a high amount of heat which leads to the possibility of damage to their main tool, the welding rod.
These rods use an asbestos coating to protect from the fire or heat destruction, which when attached to the rods doesn’t pose a......
A big moment for the Canadian town of Asbestos occurred recently as they narrowed down their choices for its new name in the last week. Officials in the town have been battling with their reputation for years and believe their economy has taken a hit due to the connotations related to the deadly material of asbestos, with their mayor saying in an interview that “Four businesses have told me they don’t want to establish here because of the name, that their investors were reluctant to invest here”.
The journey began late......