15 Bowling Green Lane
London, EC1R 0BD
support@centralcompliance.uk
Contact us Via
Email or Live Chat

Blog


Bradford Construction Company Fined for Exposing Workers to Asbestos

A construction company based in Bradford has been fined due to breaching health and safety after their workers were exposed to asbestos during a shop conversion job in March 2019.

An investigation by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) found that the director of the company along with the casual labourers that they employed spent approximately three to four weeks working on this ceiling removal.

On the job in Hessle Road, Hull the unskilled and untrained employees were provided with a claw hammer and tasked with removing false ceiling tiles which unbeknownst......

Continue Reading


Unions Share Asbestos Fears Over High Volumes in Welsh Schools

Education unions have been warning of the potential danger pupils and teachers at Welsh schools could be facing due inconsistent monitoring of asbestos in their buildings.

This comes after a Freedom of Information (FOI) request put forward by BBC Wales has shown that over 900 schools in the country contain some level of asbestos. The majority of these are inspected at regular intervals however there are some surveys released that are 10 years old and with the asbestos marked as suspected rather than known.

This isn’t the first time this year that......

Continue Reading


HSE Launch New Site Inspection Initiative

Starting on Monday 4th October, Britain’s national workplace regulator for health and safety, the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) kickstarted a month long initiative focusing on inspections at construction sites of varying shapes and sizes across Great Britain to ensure workers are protected against dangerous dust inhalation.

This ranges from large scale commercial new builds to smaller projects such as domestic refurbishments that will be visited to check that all the necessary measures are in place to show that the health worker’s lungs are not in danger from dust exposure.

Inspectors from......

Continue Reading


Large Amount of Asbestos Found in Building Planned for Restoration Project

Proposed plans to open up a new arts centre in Wakefield were put on pause recently after a high quantity of asbestos was discovered in the building that was to be used for the centre.

Wakefield council were looking to open the new venue in what was a BHS store in the town that closed down in 2016, their desire is to convert the former shop into a centre that will house a museum, library, gallery as well as a café. This follows complaints from residents that the building is now......

Continue Reading


BBC to be sued by Family of Set Builder Due to Asbestos Inhalation

It has been confirmed that the BBC is facing another lawsuit from an asbestos related death, earlier in the summer it was reported that the widow of a member of the BBC Symphony Orchestra was taking action against the corporation due to the death of her husband (read our blog on this story here) and now the widow of a set builder who worked for the BBC from 1965 until 1988 is looking to follow suit. Valerie Evans, whose husband worked on creating the sets for BBC dramas such......

Continue Reading


New Report Shows Illness Faced by 9/11 First Responders

As we pass the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attack, a new report from the Fire Department of New York World Trade Center Health Program has highlighted the health effects that the firefighters who appeared on the scene following the tragedy are now facing. It is estimated that approximately 410,000 first responders were at the site of the attack in the following days and weeks inhaling toxic materials as they assisted in saving lives. Nearly 3,000 people died on what many termed ‘America’s Darkest Day’ but in the succeeding 20 years a......

Continue Reading


School Leaders Tell of Schools in Need of Investment

In England, teachers have been making their complaints known about schools not being up to scratch with leaking ceilings, heating systems that no longer work and the potential danger of Covid with ventilation systems that aren’t fit to deal with the threat of the contagious disease.

The declining state of UK schools and the potential dangers relating to asbestos is something we have covered in our blogs over recent years. With the government being urged to combat these issues (read here), an example of a school in......

Continue Reading


British Housebuilder Tackling Asbestos Waste Challenges

A British homebuilding company have become the first to proactively fight the obstacles posed by asbestos waste on jobs where it poses a real challenge and is still typically sent off from the site into landfills which don’t truly resolve the issue rather leaving it for future generations to face.

Lovell Homes have collaborated with Thermal Recycling to safely package and create a safe and reusable cement alternative out of the asbestos waste following its removal. The firm undertook a pilot scheme under a license from the Environment Agency together with......

Continue Reading


Welsh Campaigners Fighting Against Asbestos Found on Beach

Campaigners in Wales are engaged in a fight to remove asbestos containing waste from a beach in Carmarthenshire.

These calls have come after the council confirmed that their own tests had found that the substance found on the east beach at Burry Port contained what they described as “low risk” asbestos which according to Philip Hughes, executive board member for public protection at Carmarthenshire council they believe “Is of low risk to the public we are taking all necessary steps as a precaution including the safe removal of any visible material.......

Continue Reading


A&E Worker Left With Asbestos Frustrations

An Enfield resident has been left frustrated with the town council after they failed to clean up the asbestos problem in her children’s bedrooms.

Marsha Francis, an NHS worker living in Edmonton has said how she was left ‘fed up’ with the repeated delays in the asbestos removal which she believed should have been dealt with as a priority due to the dangerous nature of the material. Ms Francis told how the problem was first found after she had a contractor out fixing what was thought to be a leak in......

Continue Reading