As we enter a brand new year we wanted to take a moment to hgighlight some of stories that we have covered on our blogs in 2021.
To start off with lets take you back to early in the year and the story of asbestos in schools that we have have looked into multiple times this year and that started with the worry of asbestos in Welsh schools, to read more go to our blog here.
Another story that we covered in different periods of the year is......
Alban Arena in St Albans have had to cancel their Christmas pantomime of ‘Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs’ starring Holby City actress Chizzy Akudolu, which the venue has explained is because "Significant works are needed to the affected area, which is in a hard to get at spot," after an "asbestos-related situation".
This came after the theatre had to cancel performances earlier in December once the asbestos issue was discovered in the 53 year old building as safety pre caution. On their website, St Albans City and District Council have......
As we approach Christmas please take a read of two of our previous blogs focussing on asbestos around the festive season.
The first of which focusses on the use of asbestos in snow in film, including in a very famous scene starring Bing Crosby please read this blog here.
The second blog is about the use of asbestos in older Christmas decorations that may still be found around the home if passed down through generations, you can take a read of that blog here.
Have a happy......
Roy Williams, from Ammanford in Carmarthenshire, had three sons - all of whom followed in his footsteps into the IT industry. Jason, his middle boy, had no idea this job might ultimately end his life. However, 20 years later and then a father of two teenagers he was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a form of cancer linked to asbestos exposure.
Tragically, Jason died only six months later at just 45 years-old. In a recent interview with the BBC his father, Roy Williams, is urging bosses in the private and public sectors to......
The former home of the world's largest asbestos factory is to be cleaned up by its new owners, it has been revealed this month. The land in Rochdale, which housed Turner Brothers Asbestos, has recently been bought by ESG Trading, based in Castleford. Martin Greenwood, ESG chairman, said they would "decontaminate, demolish and remediate" the 111-acre site before putting forward any proposals for it. This acts as music to the ears of many locals who have grown tired of looking at the abandoned factory since it closed its doors for......
The Commons Work and Pensions Committee have now held their first meeting on the affect asbestos has had on teachers and pupils in UK schools, we covered the idea behind these meetings in our blog from last week which you can read about here.
At the meeting Charles Pickles, founder of campaign group Airtight on Asbestos, gave the commons a stark warning that because of asbestos-related illnesses 200 to 300 children are having the lives shortened “just as a result of going to school”. Fervent campaigner Mr Pickles also......
This month a committee of MPs have started to investigate the dangers faced by UK hospital staff as well as teachers and pupils in schools across the country from potential asbestos exposure. This comes after warnings from campaign groups that the current measures are not enough to curb these preventable deaths linked to the dangerous substance.
Between the years 2001 and 2016 it has been reported that 305 teachers have died from Mesothelioma however, according to campaign group Airtight on Asbestos, the real number is likely to be higher. The group’s......
Asbestos fears have been raised in Carlisle after hundreds of tonnes of wate at a recycling centre went ablaze earlier in November. This took place at a unit which contained different materials such as wood, plastics and regular household waste.
Cumbrian police issued a warning telling those living nearby to ensure they have their doors and windows closed as a precaution due to the roof of the unit containing asbestos leading to worries the fibres could spread in the area.
The fire and rescue service for Cumbria remained on site for multiple......
An inquest held at Derby Coroner’s Court in October, looking into the death of a labourer from Derbyshire has heard how he died after being exposed to deadly asbestos whilst working at a power station without the necessary protective equipment.
87 year old Reginald Coleman, who died at his home in March of this year suffered from multiple illnesses that all linked back to his asbestos exposure. During the 1960s Mr Coleman along with his brother, who also died from asbestos exposure three years ago, worked as general labourers at the......
A demolition crew brought in to work on the remnants of a massive gas explosions in Ayr, Scotland were halted recently due to fears that were asbestos containing materials in the debris.
Earlier in October a gas explosion hit in the area of Gorse Park, completely destroying one home, damaging others and hospitalising a family of four.
The houses that were worst effected in the blast are going to be flattened with a specialty team brought in to carry out the job. The team from the demolition company Caskie were told to......